The business skills visa class of Australia's Migration Program encourages successful business people to settle permanently in Australia and develop businesses.
The Business Skills category is divided into four main sub-classes:
1. Business Owner
2. Senior Executive
4. Established Business in Australia
1. Business owners are required to demonstrate that they have had a successful business career overall and that for two of the four fiscal years preceding their application they have:
Had net assets in business of not less than A$200,000;
Been involved in and responsible for the overall management of a business in which they have at least ten per cent ownership for 2 of the last 4 fiscal years;
Genuine and realistic commitment to participate, as a substantial owner,in the management of a new or existing business which will benefit Australia;
As well as meeting these requirements, business owners must pass a points test which assesses factors such as turnover, annual labour costs, total business assets, age, language ability and net personal assets.
2. Senior executives must demonstrate that they have had successful business career and:
For two of the four years preceding their application they have been employed in the top three levels of management of a business which has an annual turnover of net less than $50 million;
Pass a point test which assesses factors such as age, English language ability and net personal assets.
3. Investment-linked applicants must demonstrate a history of successful ownership and management in business and/or investment activities. In addition,an applicant must:
Have an overall successful record of business or investment activities;
In one of the past five fiscal years, to have maintained direct and continuous involvement in either managing a business with at least 10% ownership interest or managing eligible investments of at least of Aus$1,000,000;
Make an investment into a State or Territory government security of between Aus $750 000 and Aus$2 million, for a period of three years;
Demonstrate that he/she have assets worth at least 50 per cent more than their proposed investment; and
Pass a points test which assesses age and English language ability.
4. Established Business in Australia applicants can only apply for this visa while in Australia, and while holding a temporary visa other than a Bridging visa or a Criminal Justice visa. They must demonstrate that they:
Have managed a business in Australia in which they have at least ten per cent ownership, for 18 months prior to application;
Have had assets in Australia worth A$250,000, of which A$100 000 must be invested in the business, for 12 months prior to application;
Have been resident in Australia for a total a nine months during the 12 months prior to the application;
Pass a points test which assesses turnover or exports, number of employees, net assets, age and English language ability.