Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RMB View Drop Down

Joined: 12/March/2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote RMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: STOLEN ASSETS
    Posted: 12/March/2018 at 22:22
Just wanting some legal information for my friend, she has split with her husband all 3 of their cars are registered in her name he took the one that was working at the time. Then she got the other one working and he came and stole it straight from her house and has now left her with the only car not working and has 4 kids at home.
She reported it to police and they said it is a domestic problem and for her to steal it back herself. She cannot do this as he is violent and will smash up her whole house and her, now he has both working cars that are registered to her, is there anything she can do about getting at least one of the cars back other than cancelling the rego's?

citizen-joe View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09/October/2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 668
  Quote citizen-joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2018 at 23:21
Stolen is an emotive term, and not helpful when trying to resolve property settlement disputes.

Both parties have a claim to any and all of the property involved, regardless of who claims to actually own the item, or in this case, whose name shows as the registered owner. This situation will continue until a property settlement occurs.

A property settlement involves all property being put in a pot and divided up between each of them.

Others will advise various way of achieving this but a visit to a solicitor may be appropriate in this case.

emca01 View Drop Down
Legal Guru
Legal Guru

Joined: 20/July/2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 2251
  Quote emca01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2018 at 07:18
Ok so she needs to have a chat with the cops and with the state car registration authority... He could have all sorts of fun running red light cameras etc etc. It would cost her a fortune and cost her her drivers licence.

Next - She can cancel the registration of the cars.... IF she does this, I'd suggest she be a bit smart. She should cancel the rego. Then inform the ex via a text message to inform him that the cars are no longer registered and she would like to work with him to have them returned and seek his advice on how he would like to go about it.

Look it might be prudent to do this with one of the cars... So he is being left with one... That seems reasonable.

AsiaOilDude View Drop Down
Legal Guru
Legal Guru

Joined: 17/February/2011
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2495
  Quote AsiaOilDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2018 at 11:08
Also cancelling the CPT insurance might work.
Not legal advice. Personal opinion only. Seek legal advice from qualified personnel only.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.