by Trina  02/06/2005  824 Page Views
2 Comments  Family & de facto law, financial agreements, consent orders

My sister has just given birth to a baby girl and is currently arranging birth certificates etc. She is no longer in a relationship with the child's father and although she communicates with him enough to allow him to visit the child, she is afraid of what he may try to do to have the child taken from her. I was wondering: What rights does a father have if his name is listed on the birth certificate? Does he have any rights if he is not on the birth certificate? What does a sole custody application achieve and could the father appeal? What would be the best way to keep the father out of the child's life, without him appealing and applying for custody.

Also i am not sure if this is the correct place to ask but are there any problems for the mother if the father is not listed on the birth certificate (such as parenting payments?)