by seetee  14/11/2012  898 Page Views
2 Comments  Commercial law, litigation, contracts, IP, property law
Hey everyone,

I am currently in the process of starting up a online apparel shop, mainly focusing on T-shirts. I have experience in this area as I have worked in this industry for a little, but there is one thing I am still unsure about. The issue is licensing. As a lot of of my shirts will have copyrighted images on them, I know I would be need to negotiate a licensing agreement with the copyright owner. I want to do this all legally, so I want to go about doing it this way.

The gripe I have is that there is one online shop in particular that sells somewhat similar types of apparel, and I know for a fact that they are not licensed. They have different companies copyright properties on the same shirt, have child's characters doing illegal activities etc. PM me and I'll send you the link.

It just frustrates me as I want to do everything legally, but if I can use this shop as an example, why would I bother paying royalties and getting a license when you can apparently just print what you want when you feel like it? Has anyone ever had experience in this area? Or recommended on what path I take in this situation?

Thanks