by sss3399  28/01/2015  1370 Page Views
0 Comments  Immigration law, student visa, employment visa, partner visa
Hi. I am currently an international student studying at Queensland. I was caught shoplifting about 2.5 years ago with the cost of goods less than 50 Australian dollars. I attended the court on the given date and pleaded guilty. It was a first time offence and I stated my remorse and apologies. The judgment or order of the court provided the outcome for my case was “CONVICTED – NOT PUNISHED – Conviction not recorded”. I will be applying for temporary residency in Australia this coming July. What consequences will this cause when I apply for temporary residency as well as permanent residency in Australia? Should I seek advice from a solicitor if I am unsure whether I am required to declare my conviction or not, this is of particular concern in applying for temporary and permanent residency in Australia. Should I declare a conviction for a minor offence? Will this offence prevent me from getting my temporary and permanent residency granted?

I will have to complete Form 80 (Personal particulars for assessment including character assessment) downloaded from Immigration Australia website. I was asked have i been convicted of an offense in any country (including any conviction which is now removed from official records). Do I have to say yes for this question provided the conviction was not recorded for my case around 2.5 years ago?