by MalMac  14/01/2014  1043 Page Views
7 Comments  Family & de facto law, financial agreements, consent orders
Hi,
I would like a little advice here please.

My Ex-Wife and I were divorced in April 2013 after 30 years of marriage.
We have not made a property settlement as we have no assets of any great value.
My Ex took all her personal possessions, some items of furniture, a lot of computer equipment and some electrical gadgets when she left - she said that was all that she wanted.

There was a Credit Card debt of $4k - the card was in my name only and used for living expenses, car repairs, rego and at times light, gas and phone bills it was also used to pay for upgrades on her computer, larger hard drives, new monitor, leather computer chair, printer, iPod and iPad.

We had a discussion about the CC debt and she agreed that it was partially hers - I asked her if she would be willing to pay $1,000 towards the repayments and she agreed to pay by installments.

She was religiously paying me $50 per fortnight for a couple of months and then took out an AVO, claiming harassment and then the payments stopped, apparently the Police told her not to pay it - The AVO expired in Nov 2013.

What I would like to know is...
What are my options to recover the balance of $750 ?
I realise 'Property Settlement' must be started by April of this year, but as I said, we have no assets of any great value and the legal cost would be vastly more than our 'assets' are worth.

Would it be advisable to pursue this debt through the Local Court?
I have copies of receipts I gave to her each time she made a payment, which pretty much shows that she has admitted that the debt is partially hers.

Or should I just chalk this one up as a loss and forget about it?

I know it's not a lot of money but my sole income is the Disability Support Pension and every little bit helps.

Thanks.