Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200
Legal Articles
The provider of this information is AussieLegal Spousal Maintenance $49.95



Spousal maintenance issues only apply to people who are or were married. A "spouse" is a husband or wife and does not include de-facto partners. Spousal maintenance is the payment of maintenance to a husband or wife by a wife or husband. The relevant law is contained in the Family Law Act 1975. It sets out when one spouse must pay maintenance to the other spouse.

A party to marriage is liable to maintain (that is financially support) the other party to the extent that he or she is reasonably able to do so if, and only if, the other party is unable to support herself or himself adequately whether:

  • by reason of having the care and control of the child of the marriage who has not attained the age of 18 years;
  • by reason of age or physical or mental incapacity for appropriate gainful employment; or
  • for any other adequate reason,

having regard to any relevant matter referred to in Section 75(2) of the Family Law Act.

Initially the obligation is on the applicant to persuade the court that he or she is in need of spousal maintenance. Often orders made in relation to spousal maintenance are of limited duration, eg whilst the spouse retrains so as to obtain employment or whilst a child is very young.

Spousal maintenance can take a number of forms including the payment of a periodic sum or the transfer of property or chattels. These orders may be made at the same time that orders are made for property settlement, that is, orders for the adjustment of the parties' property and assets between themselves. It is necessary in that event to specify what if any part of any payment of a lump sum, or transfer or settlement of property relates to spousal maintenance and the value that is attributable to the provision of maintenance.

Spousal maintenance orders continue until parties remarry (except in special circumstances) or upon the death of the person entitled to receive the maintenance or the death of the person required to make the payments. If somebody is receiving spousal maintenance, that person is obliged under the Family Law Act to inform the payer without delay of his or her remarriage. If monies have been paid after remarriage, then they may be recovered through the Family Court.


This Information Outline is provided courtesy of Westminster Lawyers who specialize in this area of law. They are located at Level 9,  552 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000 or call them on (03) 9670-1734 you would like more information on this legal topic, or you wish to obtain formal advice regarding your situation.

Westminster Lawyers is a specialist family law firm practicing in Melbourne, Australia. We have eight lawyers including three lawyers accredited by the Law Institute of Victoria as specialists in family law. We are able to assist you in all areas of family law including prenuptial and precohabitation agreements, matters arising after the breakdown of a marriage or a relationship and Wills and estate planning. Our lawyers speak a number of languages including: English, French, Italian, Mandarin, Cantonese, Shangaihese, Hokkien and Japanese. We are part of a world wide network of affiliated law firms with expertise in family law. We act in a number of international family law matters and are able to offer our clients the benefit of seamless service between offices spread across Australia, North America, Europe, Asia and the Pacific.

Tell a friend about this information!
Enter their email address in the box below:

Print this page

Select another subtopic of this information

Need further information? Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.