Print Page | Close Window

12 month tourist Visa?

Printed From: AussieLegal
Category: Immigration Law
Forum Name: Student Visa, Employment Visa, Partner Visa, 457 Visa
Forum Discription:
Printed Date: 20/April/2019 at 06:16

Topic: 12 month tourist Visa?
Posted By: Adam.Smith
Subject: 12 month tourist Visa?
Date Posted: 05/January/2010 at 17:10
Here is my situation.
1) I had sponsored my ex-spouse 3 years ago on a defacto visa.
2) 4 months after sponsoring her she went back to her home country and divorced me.
3) She then withdrew her permanent resident application.

I know i won't able to sponsor my new partner until i meet the minimum 5 year waiting period (which ends in Sept 2011). My new partner is a resident of the UK and we plan to marry sometime in December this year. Considering I will still have another year after my marraige before i could sponsor her on a spouse visa, would it be advisable for her to apply for a 12 month tourist visa after our marraige so that we can be together until i put her papers in for the spouse visa. I am obviously willing to sponsor her and am ready to put down a bond if required. The plan is then for her to go offshore and apply for the spouse visa. Could you please advise if this is the best approach or could there be other alternatives?


Posted By: MartinO
Date Posted: 05/January/2010 at 18:05
Contact immigration, give them all your story, the fact that your former spouse has left the country and withdrawn her permanent resident application may alter the situation.

I see no problem with the tourist visa idea, however be aware that she will be unable to work on the tourist visa, and if she does it will jeopardise any further application.

I am NOT a lawyer. Anything said is NOT legal advice.

Please post your legal questions in a forum rather than sending a PM. Thanks.

Posted By: Adam.Smith
Date Posted: 06/January/2010 at 14:19
thanks Martino.

Does anyone else have an opinion regarding my situation?

Print Page | Close Window