Print Page | Close Window

Mirena Perforation IUD

Printed From: AussieLegal
Category: General Legal Discussions
Forum Name: Discuss legal issues that are of a general nature
Forum Discription:
Printed Date: 20/December/2018 at 02:20

Topic: Mirena Perforation IUD
Posted By: Leomca
Subject: Mirena Perforation IUD
Date Posted: 16/February/2018 at 23:10

I had an laparoscopy surgery done in the year 2011 and was told that i needed an IUD inserted into the Uterus. This mirena IUD insertion was done a week later in the doctors private office, however when leaving the office i experienced fainting . I went home as the doctor told me this was normal. During my week of staying at home with this mirena i suffered excruciating pain in the uterus to the point i couldnt eat, sleep , walk due to the severe sharp scraping flesh that the mirena caused my doctor - surgeon said it was normal. 7 days i suffered like this so i called the same surgeon doctor and told him to remove it. I went for surgery again under full anesthesia as the mirena was lost in the uterus.
When i came out of the surgery my surgeon told me he removed the mirena.   Today after 7 years of excruciating pain, bleeding, not being able to live a normal functioning life i had a CT scan in which the results clearly shows that the IUD is still inside me. Now the IUD which was NOT supposed to be there has perforated my Uterus wall and is now lodged somewhere in my pelvis and a cycst has grown with it.

Can i sue my surgeon for medical negligence as i was not aware that an IUD was still inside me when i specifically when for the last surgery to have it completely removed ?

I would like some help on this matter i am located in sydney NSW

Posted By: citizen-joe
Date Posted: 17/February/2018 at 00:16
I believe you have a good case against the surgeon, but you need the advice and assistance of a a good medical negligence solicitor to proceed with any action.

The law society may be able to offer advice as to experienced solicitors who work in this area. - Law Society NSW

Posted By: AMK Law
Date Posted: 08/March/2018 at 18:09
Dear Leomca,

We are sorry to hear about your traumatic experience with your doctor. Like everyone else, you placed a lot of faith and trust in your doctor and they had a duty of care to exercise reasonable care at the time of treating you.

We need more information from you to assess whether a duty of care has been breached and determine your entitlement to compensation. Strict time limitations apply on when a medical negligence can be made, therefore you must act quickly to obtain legal advise.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact us via email on, via phone on (03) 8564 8474 to discuss your matter or visit our website at

This information is of a general nature only and it is not, nor is intended to be, legal advice. If you wish to take any action based on the content of this publication, we recommend that you seek professional legal advice. You can contact AMK Law directly by telephone on (03) 8564 8474 or by email

Posted By: citizen-joe
Date Posted: 09/March/2018 at 17:41
Is this answer really in the spirit of the forum?

No actual answer given, eg how long the time limit is to make a claim, and then just touting for business and offering no actual help.

Print Page | Close Window