Forum Name: Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate, Letters of Administration
Forum Discription:
URL: https://www.aussielegal.com.au/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24920
Printed Date: 20/January/2018 at 17:58

Topic: do we need a will?
Posted By: mumof2girls
Subject: do we need a will?
Date Posted: 18/December/2017 at 15:05
We have chronic illnesses so not much in the way of money or material things, I have life insurance and my small super which I have said should go to my husband and 2 girls, my hubby has none of these due to his illness. Do we need a will? My hubby has an older son but he said he isn't interested in anything except some of his dads personal things (medals etc) so I'm not sure if we actually need a will...or should we still get one?

Replies:
Posted By: citizen-joe
Date Posted: 18/December/2017 at 20:48
Yes, you need a will otherwise distribution of the estate will be expensive and according to the relevant estate laws and not how you may wish it to be.

You also need to nominate a beneficiary to the life insurance company otherwise the insurance company cannot pay out until the estate is granted probate. This could take years, especially if there is no will. But with a nomination and a death certificate the insurance company can pay usually within a month.

Posted By: mumof2girls
Date Posted: 20/December/2017 at 17:34
Thankyou will do that in the new year thanks for that...I will double check my super and life insurance to see if they have the right information in regards to beneficiaries.

Print Page | Close Window