Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

12 month tourist Visa?

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Adam.Smith View Drop Down

Joined: 21/February/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 16
  Quote Adam.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12 month tourist Visa?
    Posted: 05/January/2010 at 17:10
Here is my situation.
1) I had sponsored my ex-spouse 3 years ago on a defacto visa.
2) 4 months after sponsoring her she went back to her home country and divorced me.
3) She then withdrew her permanent resident application.

I know i won't able to sponsor my new partner until i meet the minimum 5 year waiting period (which ends in Sept 2011). My new partner is a resident of the UK and we plan to marry sometime in December this year. Considering I will still have another year after my marraige before i could sponsor her on a spouse visa, would it be advisable for her to apply for a 12 month tourist visa after our marraige so that we can be together until i put her papers in for the spouse visa. I am obviously willing to sponsor her and am ready to put down a bond if required. The plan is then for her to go offshore and apply for the spouse visa. Could you please advise if this is the best approach or could there be other alternatives?


MartinO View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Joined: 02/March/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 13999
  Quote MartinO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/January/2010 at 18:05
Contact immigration, give them all your story, the fact that your former spouse has left the country and withdrawn her permanent resident application may alter the situation.

I see no problem with the tourist visa idea, however be aware that she will be unable to work on the tourist visa, and if she does it will jeopardise any further application.

Edited by MartinO - 05/January/2010 at 18:05
I am NOT a lawyer. Anything said is NOT legal advice.

Please post your legal questions in a forum rather than sending a PM. Thanks.

Adam.Smith View Drop Down

Joined: 21/February/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 16
  Quote Adam.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/January/2010 at 14:19
thanks Martino.

Does anyone else have an opinion regarding my situation?

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.