Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Manny99 View Drop Down

Joined: 07/October/2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote Manny99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Waste Reduction and Recycling Act 2011
    Posted: 08/October/2018 at 00:08
Hello everyone

So this is what I did, I threw a plastic coke bottle trying to get it into the bin but missed outside of Birdees, and the council saw it and gave me a fine. They took my licence to check proof of identity for the infringement notice “Waste reduction and recycling Act 2011”, but they misplelled my last name on the notice. Does the misplelling of my name mean anything?

So now what happens if I don’t pay the fine, will they increase it? Take me to court? And if they did, and I still refuse to pay, what happens then? Because I don’t have any assets because I’m 19 and living with parents, I don’t own a car or a house or anything, I don’t have a job, so I don’t know how they can deduct my wage, and I don’t have a license so i don’t know how they can suspend it. They can’t send me to jail just for littering because that would be ridiculous. Also I ripped up the infringement notice at home so their is no going back from this matter. How far will the council go to make me pay the fine?


citizen-joe View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09/October/2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 728
  Quote citizen-joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2018 at 00:35
The error in the spelling of your name will not invalidate the fine.

If you ignore the fine you will be eventually taken to court where if you are found guilty, be faced with extra charges, these could be considerable.

If your story here is accurate there is nothing to stop you writing to the council at the address given on the fine notice and advising that you threw the plastic coke bottle into the bin but didn't realise that you had missed, offer an apology for this and request that the fine be waved as you are only a student without any income. Offer to spend some time picking up rubbish to make amends for your error and ask where they would like you to perform this service.

See what they say, if they insist that you pay, do so, to try anything else will only end up costing you heaps.

Edited by citizen-joe - 08/October/2018 at 00:38

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.