Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rental of marital home

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jensliskovic View Drop Down

Joined: 04/May/2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
  Quote jensliskovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rental of marital home
    Posted: 04/May/2018 at 09:14
I am separated and we hold a joint property (legally both names on the property title). The mortgage is in both names.

Neither of us lives now in the family home. My ex-partner wants to rent out the family home. I do not wish to, but wish to sell the home.
My partner says they have had legal advice to say that they can rent out the property and set up a lease without my consent.....

Is this true?. Can they rent out the joint property without my consent or signature? to another party. They are saying they are legally allowed to do this to cover the mortgage payments?

emca01 View Drop Down
Legal Guru
Legal Guru

Joined: 20/July/2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 2261
  Quote emca01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2018 at 18:28
Who is paying the mortgage?

Are you being reasonable... Sorry to be blunt - but there is a lot of discretionalry power in family law.. If the ex is paying the mortgage and you are not... It could be reasonable to assume that you're refusing to agree to rent the thing out just because you're having fun at the fact that you can (kinda) stop the ex renting it out just to drain the ex's funds.

So for example... If the ex did rent it out and got $500 a week. Would you want half? sure of course... Are you paying half of the mortgage and related expenses? IF NO? Hmmm

citizen-joe View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09/October/2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 728
  Quote citizen-joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2018 at 23:53
The family court favors a complete break when a marriage breaks down. This would suggest that the sale of the property is the appropriate course of action.

As this appears what you wish to do, se a solicitor for assistance to do just that, and remove this constant reminder of past mistakes.

jensliskovic View Drop Down

Joined: 04/May/2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
  Quote jensliskovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2018 at 08:39

Both parties are paying the mortgage, 50% share of that and rates and all other expenses.

Thanks for the cynicism. Trust me no one is trying the drain the funds of an ex here. Just trying to move forward and resolve if one party has any legal ability to do something with a joint asset without the consent of both parties if there is no family court order yet.

jaazzz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Joined: 19/September/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 6516
  Quote jaazzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/May/2018 at 23:27

When the other party says they've been told "it's legal", what they probably mean is it's not unlawful. In other words there's no law saying you can't. Greyish area..

That said, if the other party was to enter into a rental agreement with someone without your consent, & the place was left trashed or it's value reduced as a result, then you would have valid cause to hold the other joint owner financially responsible... That could only be via a court order if they refused of course..

Also worth pointing out that if the property was to be rented, the mortgagee (assuming it's financed) is supposed to be notified & your insurance amended to reflect the fact also..

The lender may want to amend the loan to an investment loan rather than a home loan

Any opinion given should not be accepted as legal advice.

Please post your legal questions in a forum rather than sending a PM. Thanks

rannii View Drop Down
Legal Guru
Legal Guru

Joined: 25/May/2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1136
  Quote rannii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2018 at 11:44
From memory, each party has the obligation to protect the assets of the property. Ie, cars to be insured etc. I remember this being explained to me.

Renting the property out, when it would otherwise be vacant - would be protecting the equity in the property and thus, not an “illegal” thing, especially if it is all done at arms length.

It’s a wise idea, as property settlement can take years, if consent orders are not reached. There is nothing stopping the house being sold whilst tenanted and in a lot of cases, it’s easier to sell a home tenanted than it is vacant.

Also, even though expenses are split,   Not allowing your ex to benefit from half of the proceeds of rent could effect you adversely as you are limiting their finances.

If for some reason your ex does require your permission to rent out the propert - they have ability to apply to the court to do so in the interim whilst matters are finalised. I do not see why any judge would not grant that request.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.