Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200
   

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:

ACT  NSW  NT  QLD  SA  TAS  VIC  WA  

AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

VC Lawyers

Address:  Suite 4,45-47 Belmore Road, Randwick NSW

Phone:  02 9326 6314

Email:  mail@vclawyers.com.au

Website:  vclawyers.com.au

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

selling when co-owner won't consent

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
WaynesSister View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 10/March/2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 7
  Quote WaynesSister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: selling when co-owner won't consent
    Posted: 11/March/2018 at 14:13
I'm asking on behalf of my brother. He is 50, married 20+ years, separated 9 years, divorced 4 years. Only 1 child who is now adult. They had only 1 house in joint names, nothing much else, the house is almost paid off, he lives there, she rents elsewhere.

I understood they signed a property settlement about the time of their divorce but apparently it was only ever verbal, she "delayed" signing it.

She is now getting married again. My brother wants to sell the house. Ex keeps right on "delaying". He is convinced he can't force her to sell and also thinks it will cost him $100,000's to take her to court. He is now worried her new husband will have claim on their house.

As the Family Law provisions are now well out of time, how else can he resolve this? Can he resolve it by application for a court order to have it sold? How much would this likely cost him?   Can she 'contest' such an order similar to contesting family law negotiations? Or is it a much simpler process? Where could we find out?

If he fails to resolve this now, can her new husband make claim on the house later? How much later? Shortly after wedding? Or 4-5 years down the track?

Your advice would be appreciated.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.