Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

Ogilvie Jennings Barristers and Solicitors - Hobart

Address:  8 Brooke St Hobart TAS

Phone:  (03) 6223 7811



  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ex owes me money, haven't divorced yet

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ex owes me money, haven't divorced yet
    Posted: 03/January/2018 at 17:38
My ex husband and I separated over a year ago.

We have agreed to do a joint divorce because we both know it's the right thing to do.

When we separated he agreed to pay my car payments and CC debt but since our split he has been redundant twice and not able to cover the payments. I have also loaned him $7,000+ during this time of financial hardship.

There's no way of him paying me back any time soon and I'm wondering if the money can be repaid using his super?

emca01 View Drop Down
Legal Guru
Legal Guru

Joined: 20/July/2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 2251
  Quote emca01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2018 at 08:14
nope- even super is a problem... If he wont agree to pay it back then off to court you go and given the amount you're talking court ain't worth the stress...

Plan B - If you guys write up consent orders and both get independent legal advice then the consent orders will be stamped by the court and be legally binding.. It could include a split of his super BUT not to your bank account as cash - it can be deposited into your super account and you can not access it until you're old.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.