Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Location Exception Work and Holiday VISA

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AshTea View Drop Down

Joined: 24/July/2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote AshTea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Location Exception Work and Holiday VISA
    Posted: 24/July/2017 at 11:29
Can anyone please help me clarify my work rights for the Work and Holiday VISA?
I know it's typically 6 months with one employer, however it states on the website that:

"You do not need to seek permission to work with the same employer for up to 12 months, in circumstances where the work is undertaken in different locations and work in any one location does not exceed six months. For example, you can work with one employer for up to 12 months in the following situations:

hotels, resorts or restaurants within the same chain, provided they are in different premises
independently owned franchises, in different workplaces
State and Territory schools and health care facilities, provided these facilities are at different addresses
separate branches or facilities (for example abattoirs or farms) of the same organisation or business owner."

I work as a Court Monitor within the Sydney CBD, I'm typically rotated between the Supreme Court, The Land and Environment Court, The Downing Center, and John Madison Tower. Sometimes I'll only be at one for a day, other times I'm sent to several locations in one day. These are all a 5-15 minute walk from each other, but they are different buildings. I'm unsure if this qualifies for this location exception stated above.

I've tried contacting the Immigration Department about this, several times, but they have seemed very unsure of the answers they've given me. Using terms such as "I think" and "That should be okay." and "That's a grey area." It's really confusing and worrying.

I was hoping somebody could help give me a more concrete answer...

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.