Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

Berrigan Doube Lawyers - Brisbane

Address:  44 Balaclava Street, Woolloongabba, QLD

Phone:  07 3399 4199



  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Land Tax Assessment due to Trust Type

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Petall View Drop Down

Joined: 30/July/2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote Petall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Land Tax Assessment due to Trust Type
    Posted: 31/July/2015 at 16:34
Ciao! We established a Family Trust some years ago in an attempt to protect my Mother-in-laws property in the event of her needing to go into aged care and to assist my Sister-in-law to secure a mortgage for a house close to her Mother to be able to care for her.
This was over 6 years ago and now we find the Accountant who advised us to do this gave us bad advice as the Trust is deemed "Special Trust" and as such the properties in it are assessed for Land Tax, even though both of them are principal places of residence.
Can anyone help me on how to deal with this? We have a huge Land Tax bill that we can not afford to buy unless we sell the homes of my mother-in-law and sister-in-law to repay the mortgages and provide enough cash to cover the land tax...... Any sort of help or assistance would be really greatly appreciated as we can't seem to understand what we can do from here.... Grazie

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.