Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PLEASE HELP - An illegal immigrant in Australia

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
1inaMIL View Drop Down

Joined: 04/November/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote 1inaMIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PLEASE HELP - An illegal immigrant in Australia
    Posted: 04/November/2009 at 06:00

Hello, I'm in Australia for awhile now and I came on a valid visa(with a no further stay 8503 condition) and overstayed, so that makes me an illegal immigrant.

I plan to get married soon, my partner is an australian citizen.

Is there a a chance of getting married and getting a legal status without leaving the country?

Or definitely I have to leave the country and try to enter legally? Will I get a 10 years ban? Or a life time ban?

Are my chances of living legally in this country over forever?

Thank you for any well meaning advice!!

MartinO View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Joined: 02/March/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 13999
  Quote MartinO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2009 at 09:19
I cannot answer your question however you need to realise that by overstaying you could be apprehended and deported at any time. There will be a period that you will be excluded, and you will be given a bill for the departments costs in apprehending, detaining and deporting you. This will be high. But nowhere near as high as leaving the country now, and having your partner go with you, marrying overseas, and making a fresh application.

Would that be feasible?

Good luck.
I am NOT a lawyer. Anything said is NOT legal advice.

Please post your legal questions in a forum rather than sending a PM. Thanks.

confusedkewpie View Drop Down

Joined: 23/March/2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
  Quote confusedkewpie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2009 at 16:46

I am in similar situation. I have recently been in touch with immigration lawyer. You do have some chance in applying for a spouse visa to remain in Australia but only given you have been in this relationship for over 2 years and can prove it or there are australian citizen children of the relationship.

The exclusion band is 3 years and prohibts entering Australia on a temporary visa for that time.
Have a look at this information I have posted below and perhaps get in contact with a immigration lawyer (research the best)....

Once you go to that site, scroll down to De Facto Spouse Visa (onshore) to read what it has to say

good luck

EDITED to make link clickable.

Edited by MartinO - 15/November/2009 at 21:56

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.