Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

contesting a will

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
greenfrog View Drop Down

Joined: 15/June/2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote greenfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: contesting a will
    Posted: 15/June/2005 at 10:51

Could you please inform me as to how to go about contesting a will that I have been mensioned in. What are my legal rights.


AussieLegal View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Site Administrator

Joined: 20/May/2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 184
  Quote AussieLegal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/June/2005 at 09:26
Dear greenfrog, You will need to contact a solicitor experienced in contesting wills and have them look at the circumstances of the estate. If there is a case, they will very likley place a caveat on the assets of the estste and file the case in the Supreme Court. This then allows you to negotiate with the executors (and other beneficiaries) and hopefully reach a more equitable arrangement. If you cannot reach agreement, then a Supreme Court Justice will hear the case and decide what is equitable. The process, however, is not cheap. In many cases the estate will pay  for the legal expenses of the challenge - but check with your solicitor first. There is a Legal Advice Line available on the AussieLegal site where you can get fomal advice by phone in your state. Call on 1300 728 200 for more info or see the section in this site. AussieLegal.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.