Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login


 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DHB View Drop Down

Joined: 08/April/2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote DHB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CHILD SUPPORT
    Posted: 08/April/2019 at 10:38
Hi, I am just wondering what rights CSA have in this situation:

My husband has been paying child support for years....never missed a payment. His ex wife has ripped through his business about 3 times where CSA have calculated his income based on figures of money that he didn't have.

Anyway, the last 3 years have been peaceful. No dramas. He has 6 months till child support is officially finished. Last week, CSA called him and said, we have accidentally charged you the incorrect amount of child support for a period of almost 3 years so you will receive a bill next week (which we got today) for $17,800.

My argument is that my husband has been paying every single bill on time, his ex wife has not questioned the payments, every month the bill states that he in not in arrears.   Do they have any right to demand a payback for almost 3 years due to their error when the receiving parent didn't even question it??

jaazzz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Joined: 19/September/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 6533
  Quote jaazzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2019 at 08:56

I believe they can if it can be justified...

What you need to do initially is to arrange a meeting where you can sit down & go through with them the information & figures they are relying on to make this claim... Make sure you are satisfied at least that the facts & figures check out..

From there you can lodge an objection & go through the appeals process.

Any opinion given should not be accepted as legal advice.

Please post your legal questions in a forum rather than sending a PM. Thanks

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.