Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BFA's-what's involved and how much

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bluegreen View Drop Down

Joined: 28/January/2018
Location: Australia
Posts: 13
  Quote Bluegreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BFA's-what's involved and how much
    Posted: 25/February/2018 at 19:33
I think I have managed to get my husband to agree to a figure. He wants to pay some now, and the rest in 3 yrs time. I said ok, provided we had a BFA protecting us both. I'd rather have the whole sum now but I'm prepared to meet him halfway.

Are the DIY kits worth the money? Or should I just go to a lawyer and get something drawn up. I don't know what is involved in one of these agreements, so I have no idea what the fees would be, or what both I and my husband would have to provide.

Can anyone offer thoughts or experiences? All appreciated

citizen-joe View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09/October/2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 419
  Quote citizen-joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/February/2018 at 21:53
If you wish to enter into a Binding Financial Agreement you have to each see your own lawyer for independent advice, for the agreement to be legally enforceable.

Draw up what you both wish, then each take a copy to your own lawyer, if both lawyers agree, then it need to be signed by each of you and contain a statement from each of the lawyers to state they have provided each of you with advice.

However if either of you decide that you should enter into a different agreement once you have received the advice, then you'll need to negotiate again.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.