Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Securing my property - retaining wall

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Warriors001 View Drop Down

Joined: 22/December/2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote Warriors001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Securing my property - retaining wall
    Posted: 22/December/2017 at 16:02
Our neighbour has filled their land and built a 1.2m retaining wall. They have built their wall 400mm within their property but the footings come to the boundary. We have been to QCAT over the fence issue (as they wanted a 1.8m fence on the actual boundary - 0.6m higher than their wall and 400mm from the wall) and the judge ruled in our favour, ruling that their wall/3m posts acted as the dividing structure, therefore no fence is required as it serves no purpose and creates a safety issue.

We were know wondering whether we are entitled to secure our property with a gate from our house to their wall. We were going to put a post on our property but overhang the pailings to butt up against their wall to avoid any possible damage.

Are we allowed to do this? If not, how do we secure our property?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

citizen-joe View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09/October/2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 759
  Quote citizen-joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2017 at 17:46
Originally posted by Warriors001

the judge ruled ....... that their wall/3m posts acted as the dividing structure,

I think you have your answer, you can extend your palings to the wall as it is the dividing structure.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.