Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unfair - property settlement & finances

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hope101 View Drop Down

Joined: 04/December/2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote Hope101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unfair - property settlement & finances
    Posted: 05/December/2017 at 00:14
Hi all

New to this site. Asking for some help..PM me please with any Advice.

I'm from Perth WA married for 21 years - 5 children from marriage , 3 are under age.

Separated in August 2016.

I'm a stay at home mum last 15 years. He has been the main provider and mine was for food and kids expenses.
He pays child support.
I live in the family home with the 4
Children and one of them live with him 50%.

He hasn't been amicable since separation. Cancelling house bills and expenses.
Refusing to sign documents for selling of land.
I had no other choice than to file orders in the family court and I was granted sale.

Our family home is mortgaged to the full value due to him using the equity in the family home for shares. I pay all bills and mortgages on the family home. He was in control of all the family finances.

I've discovered international bank transfers and offshore account that he deposited into.

We had conciliation conference and honestly was a waste. He basically said that I keep the mortgage and don't touch any of his shares of assets. Trial is set for next year.

In 2007 he set up his own SMSF. He runs the fund on his own. Lost 1.5mil and book value is at nil.

My offer to him was 70/30.

I feel so hurt in knowing that he has done all this behind my back and had this all
Planned out.

I've been a devoted mum and wife.
What hurts me the most is that he doesn't care if the kids live on the streets

He states that I don't deserve his money and that I never worked and I'm not entitled to any of his $$$.

He earns over 100k, I'm on government payments.

I'm in desperate need of help and advice in what to do from anyone who's knowledgable in this area. I want all to be fair and for him to be honest.

I appreciate any feedback.
Thanks for reading.

citizen-joe View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09/October/2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 674
  Quote citizen-joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/December/2017 at 04:26
Don't let his silly arguments that you have not worked for the assets, your work as a mother and homemaker will be valued by the family court as the same as his cash input.

You need a good family law solicitor working for you. As a recipient of a centrelink pension you will qualify for help at a community law centre.

Take a look at the Community Legal Centres list and find a centre near you that does family law and make an appointment.

Also search for any documents that give any details of his share holdings or international transfers. Your solicitor will seek a declaration from him through the court of all his assets, having details of what you find will give your solicitor ammunition to cross examine him in court if he is less than truthful with his declaration.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.