Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

NT driver licence renewal

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Duncan56 View Drop Down

Joined: 25/November/2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote Duncan56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NT driver licence renewal
    Posted: 25/November/2017 at 22:06
Hi all

I'm on holidays overseas. My licence expired on the 15th of this month. I contacted the MVR by email and sent me a form to fill out with credit card details. I did this and then asked if possible if I could have licence sent to me in Europe as MAYBE travelling for another 3 months. I have only been away one month but they did not ask how long I have been on holidays. They replied as I was travelling outside of the NT for 3 or more months (I said I may)), not that I have) they said I was no longer a resident of the NT and need to apply for a licence in the jurisdiction in. Now I am not a resident of Europe so I cannot get a licence here and I an Australian resident and northern territory resident. I cannot be no longer a resident of my home country. This is stupid. My bank account is held to my address in NT Australia, I have just completed my tax return to my NT address in Australia and I work in the NT.

Can anyone advise if what they are saying is correct? I can only find a 3 month rule if you are on an interstate or overseas licence and its required to be changed to a NT licence if you have stayed/resided 3 months or longer in the NT. Nothing for being away 3 months. I'm now unable to use hire car, use licence as ID etc. This is just plain stupid. Can anyone advise me?


citizen181 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 02/February/2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 678
  Quote citizen181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/November/2017 at 23:34
Paper! Why were you relying on completing paper forms to renew your drivers licence. It was my understanding that every state now allows drivers licence renewals to be undertaken online, from anywhere, at anytime, subject only to the fact that you don't have to undertake a eye test or have a updated photo taken.

If you are still maintaining your permanent place of residence in the NT then there is no requirement for you to give up your right to a NT licence, irrespective of your previous attempts to properly explain this to the State Agency. Similar rules apply for vehicle registration, which can be renewed for NT residents interstate who are on a long term holiday that overlaps the registration renewal.

You could likely still go online to the MVR site, registers as a NT MVR customer and if you have your renewal notice and it states you don't need a new photo renew your licence. The only issue you should face, and this might be critical to you in your position, is that the NT MVR will send your renewed physical licensed to the NT address recorded on their database. You will be able to print off a transaction receipt which would act as a temporary licence within Australia but Overseas it may be a more difficult question.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.