Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Australian Consumer Law - Product liability for ha

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ozbattlermatt View Drop Down

Joined: 15/September/2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
  Quote ozbattlermatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Australian Consumer Law - Product liability for ha
    Posted: 15/September/2017 at 18:32
Hi all

Queenslande Battler here. I have a business idea to start up selling some handicrafts (Nothing mass produced with machinary, just handmade craftworks.) through online mediums etsy, gumtree, facebook etc., and engage in private sale at flea markets for some of my merchandise.

Now to cut things short, my merchandise comprise of combustible mineral oils, and I would like to get some input where I stand when it comes to product liability. To clarify, i'm not worried about ACCC coming knocking my door for peddling goods without guaranteeing consumer rights (refunds/return for change of mind), but more to do with sale of product that is borderline hazardous. The product being inclusive of combustible oil, would mean I need to provide some sort of product safety labels, because god forbid my customers would actually set the thing alight for sh*ts and giggles (excuse the language). Would I need to consider insurance - public liability and product etc, at this stage. Not sure if that would even be worthwhile, considering ill spend more out of pocket for an lightweight business operation that may never take off

Edited by ozbattlermatt - 15/September/2017 at 18:35

DoogleMcFroogle View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Joined: 09/July/2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 140
  Quote DoogleMcFroogle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2017 at 15:40
Contact Safe Work Australia. ( LINK to guidelines: )

I would think that if your oils are flammable they would require some sort of labelling stating so.

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.