Australia's leading provider of affordable DIY legal kits
Call our Customer Care Specialists on 1300 728 200

Legal Forum

Welcome to the FREE AussieLegal Forum

This FREE legal forum is supported by participating lawfirms in your local area.
The information contained in this public forum, and any comments made by the administrators, it's appointed mediators, or members of the public are of a general nature and may not be regarded as financial or legal advice in any way. We recommend that you seek formal advice from a practicing solicitor or licensed financial advisor regarding your particular situation. By registering to use this forum you meet the above criteria and agree to abide by all of the above rules and policies.

To be sure we provide you with the most relevant information to your state, please let us know which state you your legal matter resides in:


AussieLegal recommends this law firm:

  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

100 point Identfication for Rental

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pcj821 View Drop Down

Joined: 06/April/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 26
  Quote pcj821 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 100 point Identfication for Rental
    Posted: 03/November/2012 at 22:56

My partner and I are looking for our first rental and we're curious about the 100 point identification check required by the realtors/property manager.

The documents I intend to disclose are:

Drivers Licence
Birth Certificate
Medicare Card
Car Registration

I have no problem with having them sight these documents but it seems they actually want copies so that they can keep them on record. So my first question is does anyone know if they legally have to have these documents in their records? or do they just need to sight them?

Now, since the rental environment is particularly tight in my area, I don't really want to be a hassle to the agents with demanding that they can only sight my records (even if legally that's all they need). So if I provide copies of my id documents to the agent what details should I black out? apparently I can black out the medicare number, but what should/can I black out on the other documents?

Any help as always is much appreciated.


MartinO View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Joined: 02/March/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 13999
  Quote MartinO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2012 at 00:27
There is no legal requirement to provide 100 point identification information to rent a property. However the landlord, or his representative can require you to prove who you are, so that he can make checks about previous defaults, damage etc. It also gives him some details that could be used to locate you should you leave owing rent

You do not have to provide him with anything, but on the other hand he does not have to rent the property to you.

It is your call as to what you provide, it's his call as to whether he accepts what you provide.
I am NOT a lawyer. Anything said is NOT legal advice.

Please post your legal questions in a forum rather than sending a PM. Thanks.

pcj821 View Drop Down

Joined: 06/April/2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 26
  Quote pcj821 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2012 at 11:22
Thanks Martin, that's what I expected. I'll just go ahead and do what I have to do and simply insist that the agents destroy the copies on termination of our lease.

Unfortuantly when it comes to the rental market in my area it seems the landlords are spoilt for choice.


Edited by pcj821 - 04/November/2012 at 13:17

 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Want to save money?

Check out our list of do-it-yourself legal kits.

Need formal advice?

Let us help you find a lawyer who specializes in your particular area of law.

Need further information?

Visit our legal forum where you can ask questions and search for similar topics.